When someone is mean to you, what is your first response? When tragedy strikes, what's your first response? When an injustice happens to you, how do you immediately respond? More often than not we let our emotions lead the way because we have not allowed God to train us as first responders. Growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior is a learned expertise. Skilled operators at any job don't let their emotions guide them. Their training kicks in and their learned skills are put into immediate action. We're told in the book of Ephesians, chapter 6, that the armor of God is available for us to wear everyday. 2 Timothy 3:17 says, "All scripture is God breathed and is useful for instruction, for conviction, for correction and for training in righteousness, so that the person of God may be complete, fully equipped for every good work." Do we try too often to be spiritual paramedics without the proper training? I fear the answer to that is yes.
The older I become I reflect back on times where I thought I knew it all. I feel so embarrassed of the times I talked too much when someone simply just needed a listener. I shutter at some of the advise I gave that was human and not spiritually inspired. There were times when someone just needed to be held but I blabbered on with nervous chatter. Or, how about when someone needed to share but I shared my experiences over them to show that I knew how they felt. They just needed for me to listen but I monopolized the time. You see where I'm going with this. All I can do is thank God that he works all things out for good for those who love him. Each time I recall one of those times I stop and say a prayer for that person because I know that God is faithful to redact through his Holy Spirit anything that wasn't profitable for the kingdom. He is more than able to turn our good, yet flawed efforts into something that he can use.
How can we be better prepared to minister to those in need? First and foremost, pray. Pray before, say prayers during and continue praying. Secondly, just listen. Be kind, tenderhearted and non judgmental as you just keep listening. Thirdly, look up scriptures with them. Write down what they're struggling with and then across from it write down a scripture to battle it. Comfort them and live out the Fruits of the Spirit in your life which are love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Lastly, listen to God as you pray for them. He will lead you into effective prayers and even acts of service.
Bottom line, Get behind the Spirit of God and follow directions. We were given two ears and only one mouth which is God's way of saying talk less and listen more. Follow the prodding of the Holy Spirit and don't neglect training yourself up in the word of God.
*Psalm 119:105, "God will be the lamp unto your feet and the light onto your path."
*2 Corinthians 1:21... "It is God who enables us to stand firm in Christ"
Go and love as Christ has shown us....
*Galatians 5:13-14, "... through love serve one another..."
*Ephesians 4:15 calls believers to grow up into Christ in every way.
*1 Timothy 4:7, where the Apostle Paul writes, "Rather, train yourself to be godly" (or "train yourself for godliness"). Paul immediately adds in the next verse, "For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things."
*2 Timothy 3:16-17 notes that all Scripture is breathed out by God so that the servant of God may be "thoroughly equipped for every good work."
*2 Timothy 2:15 tells believers to do their best to present themselves to God as one approved, "a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."
We never know when someone is going to trigger our pain, humiliate us, falsely judge us, arise our anger, and make us react with defensiveness, profanity, nastiness, judgement...Just be prepared and God's Grace will be sufficient for when we need it.
*“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” 2 Corinthians 12:9.
What have some of your first responses been? What inside of you gets triggered? Is it God's love or is it buried resentment and bitterness? By allowing God to clean out our buried pain and to teach us his way to love, people will begin to see and want to know this God that we serve. We will stop wounding people with our reactions and by training to be first responders we can start being an example to people of our gracious Lord. Then, instead of missed opportunities there will be an abundance of Glory stories!
No comments:
Post a Comment